Couponing is hard. I thought that figuring out all the deals, rummaging through my apartment recycling bin for RedPlums, and printing online coupons would be the hard part, but guess what – it totally wasn’t! The hard part was getting into the store and actually finding all of the products that I was looking for. Hey – I’m usually up for a treasure hunt, but this was a little ridiculous!
I started out at Walmart and let me tell you, the Walmart that I am used to in the suburbs isn’t crowded, the aisles have plenty of space, and I’ve got the layout memorized. The Walmart that I went to today was THE WALMART OF YOUR NIGHTMARES. No space, super crowded, and filled with really weird people. I lasted about 10 minutes and then fled. A small amount of savings was not worth dealing with that forsaken place.
So, off to Target! I’m super bummed because I couldn’t find most of the items I had planned to buy! They were either sold out, or not on sale like the internet said they would be… Anyway here’s what I ended up with..
- Scoopaway Cat Litter – I was supposed to pick this up at Walmart (lower price) but I just told you how that went. So this litter is normally 9.99 but Target had it on sale for 8.99. Then I had an online coupon from coupons.com for $2 off. I also paid this with a $2 rebate on the Shopmium app, making this litter only $4.99.
- Mountain Dew Kick Start – Normally priced $1.19, Target had this on sale for $0.99. I used a $0.75 rebate on the Mobisave app, so technically I paid $0.24.
- Barilla Pronto Pasta, reg. $1.42 but on sale for $1.27. I used a $0.55 online coupon, and a 30% off Cartwheel offer, so the final price was $0.34. (Cartwheel is Target’s savings smartphone app)
- Temptations Cat Treats $1.89, used an old Catalina coupon I randomly had in my purse which actually made this free. (Catalina coupons are the coupons that print out at the cash register after some purchases).
- Old El Paso Taco Seasoning $2.52 for 3 packets, used an online coupon for $1 off of 3 packets, so I paid $1.52.
Soooo after all of the coupons, sales, and rebates I paid $7.09 for $17.01 worth of items. That’s everything at 58.3% discount. This deal would have been even sweeter if I had a Target Red Card (a debit card that gives you 5% off all target purchases!!) Why don’t I have one of these already??
Overall, I feel bittersweet about it. I am happy with my purchases – at the same time I’m disappointed because my haul wasn’t as big and as great as I had planned. Although since this is my first time couponing, maybe I should give myself a break. Plus, all of the things I bought I actually need! I would have paid full price for them anyway, so that’s a pro! The con’s would be that some of the rebates take a while to paypal me the money, or I have to hit certain limits before they do, so I’m technically out of those funds for a while… meh.
So guys, do you coupon? What was your first time like? Should I continue giving it a try? I’d love to know! If you enjoyed reading about this haul please let me know in the comments! I’ve also included links below to all of the apps and coupons I used in case you want to get in on some of these deals! Happy hunting!
Xoxo, Janessa Christine
http://shopmium.com/en/app Use Code: KMMMGYFP for a Free Lindt Chocolate Bar
$2.00 off 1 Scoop Away cat litter http://sfhzwg.cpns.cc/
$0.55 off ONE box of Barilla Pronto Pasta http://wfksmg.cpns.cc/
$1.00 off 3 Old El Paso products http://nvyxgx.cpns.cc/